Industrial Microwave Beverage Processing is a thermal processing method for pasteurizing, sterilizing, gelation, and treating beverages. IMS is the global leader in developing advanced microwave processing systems that uniquely apply high-intensity electromagnetic energy to beverages, foods, biomaterials, and other liquid or fluid-type materials.
IMS technology enables superior product quality for beverages. Often times, industrial microwave beverage processing system users report back greater retention of nutrients, taste, texture, and color for their end users or products.
Benefits of Industrial Microwave Beverage Processing
For a sterilization or pasteurization process, the benefits of using IMS ultra-rapid in-line technology include:
- Enhanced food safety
- Superior thermal processing
- Rapid deactivation of enzymes
- Reduced costs of system cleaning
- Improved product quality with better nutrient retention
- No more “hot-spots” as commonly experienced with traditional equipment
- Minimal formulation changes to achieve even temperature distribution during heating
- Longer production runs, as a result of scale reduction or burn-on from hot surface processes
Common Products and Process Applications
IMS beverage processing microwave technology can be used for many product and process applications. This includes: heating, cooking, gelation, sterilization, pasteurization, and more. However, IMS processing systems specific benefits and economic advantages are best achieved when applied to heat or shear sensitive, high viscosity, and multi-phase fluids.
Beverages and similar products successfully processed with our industrial microwaves include:
- Soy milk
- Fruit puree
- Vegetable puree
- Dairy-based drinks
- Coffee-based beverages
Patented Microwave Technology
- Tubular Choked Waveguide Applicator
- A Cylindrical Reactor with an Extended Focal Region
- Thermal Gelation of Foodstuffs and Biomaterials Using Rapid Heating
To view all IMS patents and awards, please visit the resources section of the website.
In addition to our standard product portfolio, IMS has the capability to develop non-standard designs for customized process applications. Please contact our research and development team for additional information.