The 6kW In-Line Microwave Heating and Drying System by Industrial Microwave Systems (IMS) is a 2450 MHz solution for materials processing. IMS can offer several different types of applicators, so it may provide a better solution than a one-size-fits-all multimode design. These units can be used for many stand-alone commercial heating and drying applications. This includes: textiles, pet foods and treats, non-woven materials, foam, coal, biomass, and agricultural materials.
6kW In-Line Microwave System:
Heating and Drying Advantages
An IMS in-line microwave heating and drying system has advantages over conventional dryers in two areas of their design that are intrinsically inefficient: (1) pre-heating a product to evaporative temperature, and (2) removing water from products with relatively low overall moisture content. The volumetric heating characteristic of microwave drying and the high energy densities that are possible with certain microwave dryer designs can overcome these two inefficiencies of conventional dryers.
Both the Ridged Waveguide and Wide applicators can heat and dry products with a width up to about 120 inches or 3000 mm. However, the Linear Applicator Design is limited to a product width of about 20 inches (500 mm) to ensure its maximum efficiency when heating and drying. It is therefore ideal for small-scale production or pilot plant use.
The following specifications are operating parameters per module:
|Power Output:||5 – 15 kW|
|Max. Throughput:||132 – 396 lbs. per hour|
(60 – 180 kg. per hour)
|Max. Moisture Removal:||11 – 33 lbs. per hour|
(5 – 15 kg. per hour)
|Max. Temperature:||Limited by product and belt material|
|Operating Pressure:||Atmospheric at 14.7 psig (1.0 Barg)|
(SS available upon request)
|Max. Product Height:||1 inch|
|Belt Speed:||0 – 100 feet per minute|
(0 – 30 meters per minute)
|Belt Width:||Variable to 18″|
|Electric Air Heater:||Optional for drying application|
|Generator, Control Panel & Applicator Dimensions|
|Length:||3’4″ (1.03 m)|
1.7″ (0.48 m)
8’0″ (2.42 m)
|Width:||1’9″ (0.54 m)|
0’11” (0.27 m)
4’4″ (1.31 m)
|Height:||5’9″ (1.76 m)|
1’7″ (0.48 m)
4’0″ (1.21 m)
|Electricity (including Belt Drive Motor):||7 – 20 kW|
|Magnetron Cooling Water:||3 – 5.4 GPM|
(11 – 20 LPM)
Benefits & Success Stories
The IMS 6kw In-Line Microwave Heating and Drying System’s specific benefits and economic advantages are best achieved when applied to pre-heating materials before entering a conventional dryer to raise the product moisture to its evaporative temperature, or post drying materials after a conventional dryer to optimize the uniformity of its final moisture content. Some typical applications are shown in the following examples:
- A company that processes a glass fiber substrate product replaced a Radio Frequency dryer with a stand-alone IMS unit, and was able to reduce production downtime significantly while achieving faster and more uniform drying. This is because it is easier to control the heating process in thin materials using microwave energy since the longer wavelength electromagnetic energy emitted by radio frequency generators is typically better suited to thicker products (>2 inches or 150 mm, depending on the material). In addition, this customer was able to reduce the original RF heater footprint since his product could be dried vertically in the IMS system without the use of a conveyor belt.
- Improved operating efficiencies have been achieved by an IMS system installed in a non-wovens insulation processing facility. The product was extremely difficult to dry using conventional heaters or dryers due to its high resistance to conduction or convective heat transfer. The microwave heating and drying system was able to achieve the required final moisture level consuming considerably less energy.
Heating and Drying Thin Foams
- Similar results have been achieved by manufacturers of thin foams, where the volumetric heating allowed for a faster drying process than would be possible with a conventional dryer. In addition to the reduction in overall drying time, the patented IMS applicator design eliminates the hot spots associated with conventional microwave heaters, minimizes the risk of over-drying or marring the surface of the product, and allows the microwave energy to increasingly absorb in areas of higher moisture content.
6kW Microwave Heating and Drying System: More Case Studies
- Improvement of the manufacturing environment is achievable by using modular designs, suitable for both vertical and horizontal applications. This allows for a compact system footprint and was a prime reason a European processor of organic tiles selected IMS for its horizontal stand-alone dryer. In addition to eliminating the NOx and SOx emissions from previous gas-fired dryers, the required final level of <3% moisture could be achieved in the IMS unit while occupying less than half the footprint of a conventional unit.
- IMS technology can produce new products that conventional heaters and/or dryers cannot. A major US manufacturer needed equipment that would quickly and uniformly dry a coating applied to its paper product. After several in-house product trials, this customer purchased two IMS high speed 2450 MHz microwave dryers for commercial production of the special paper, which would have been virtually impossible to accomplish with any other dryer design.
- Combined with other thermal technologies, IMS designs can optimize final heater retrofits or new production lines. As indicated previously, optimum payback is usually obtained in a process application, either as a pre-heater or as a post heater, in combination with a traditional gas-fired re-circulating hot air dryer.
- Operating and maintenance costs can be reduced as the system has few moving parts other than the product conveyor belt. The heating and/or drying process is easy to control, clean and inspect when required.
To learn more about the IMS 6kW In-Line Microwave Heating and Drying System, please contact our team to start on initial discussion. We look forward to developing a microwave system solution based on your requirements!